Aggrigate Archives - Stained Glass San Antonio
It doesn’t matter if you are simply remodeling an older San Antonio home to make it a modern gem or building a totally new home–privacy stained glass is the perfect compliment. In an era of increasing city populations, we are all living closer together. Also with the pandemic still in full swing more of us are spending time at home. In areas like bathrooms, front doors, and kitchen windows that face neighbor’s homes all call for a privacy solution–and stained glass is it. Additionally, modern stained glass is a style that also dovetails nicely with this renovation. Here is why.
Why Modern Stained Glass Makes Great Privacy Glass
Modern Stained Glass Adds Style
Home renovations are all the rage right now. And, as it happens, taking something vintage and adding a modern element is a very vogue idea. Putting modern stained glass in modern homes is also a good marriage of consistent styling. This means no matter how you cut it– modern stained glass fits into homes new and old since it is seemingly ubiquitous. It adds a gorgeous, stylish element to any home and, of course, privacy.
Modern Stained Glass Adds Privacy
Stained glass is the perfect way to add more privacy to a home. As it turns out, modern stained glass works especially well with this type of home need. Why? Because modern stained glass comes in so many different patterns and colors–the sky is literally the limit. Such an adaptable style means you can use it to give a little privacy or a whole lot–either is an easy customization.
Modern Stained Glass Adds Home Value
Modern stained glass is obviously very beautiful. It is also a way to add coveted privacy. These two benefits together add up to one thing– more value for your San Antonio home. Your home will likely appraise for more because the value of stained glass per square foot in an appraisal is more than what you paid plus, it adds incredibly curb appeal. Finally, it is known that houses with stained glass sell faster than comparable houses without it.
For more information on privacy stained glass for modern homes, contact us at Stained Glass San Antonio today!
Here at Stained Glass San Antonio, one of the best parts about our business model is being part of one of the most proficient stained glass studios in the US–Scottish Stained Glass. This means we are often part of some of the most unique stained glass installations around. Although each one comes with its own set of challenges–at the end of the day, it is incredibly fulfilling work. Our job is not only to transform churches but the lives of the congregants as well. One example of this is our most recent installation (and now pride of our portfolio) St. Andrew The Apostle Catholic Church located in Wray, CO.
The Scope of Our Custom Stained Glass Project
Wray is quite a small town of 2000 but this stained glass installation was big. Five custom panels to be exact. You see– since St Andrew’s is a newer church (built in the last 30 years) they did not have stained glass windows in the sanctuary. 2020 turned out to be the year this would change. The congregation felt like it was time to install stained glass artwork that would make their place of worship feel more like a house of God. So, they reached out to us to install five new, custom stained glass windows on the east side of their sanctuary. Asked if we could do this safely during a pandemic–the answer was, of course, yes. We have been doing safe stained glass installations throughout the summer and we’re happy to help. We were also thrilled at such an exciting chance to do the custom work we do so well.
Customizing Stained Glass to Be Historically Accurate and Beautiful
The church congregation was looking for us to create a depiction of the five Luminous Mysteries (baptism, wedding, proclamation, transfiguration, and last supper). These depictions were very significant to them and their doctrines. For a job this special and sentimental we pitched custom painted artwork was an option. They absolutely loved the idea and we got the green light! Not only is painted glass a very lovely form of stained glass work but it is rare due to lack of artisans too. We are lucky enough to work with an amazing painted glass specialist–Maria –and she didn’t disappoint. She wanted things to look as life-like as possible so we used actual models to get the poses right. We also did extensive research for historical accuracy like:
- The Appropriate background and foliage for the region
- Authentic tile design for floors in that time-period
- A historically accurate depiction of the town of Cana
The Beauty of Custom Painted Stained Glass
The outcome of our custom, five-panel stained glass project in St. Andrew The Apostle Catholic Church was breathtaking. Although we used mostly black and brown paint we were able to really pull color from the glass background. We also constructed the stained glass to effectively harness the natural sunlight. This created a lot of depth in objects like the faces, hands, fauna, and flora. The result was a stunning three-dimensional appearance– both authentic but interesting. In the end, the members of the congregation (who watched socially distanced) were amazed by the beauty of the entire process. One member even said, “Now we have a church”. It is this the type of affirmation and the pride that makes us love our work in custom stained glass creation.
For more information on custom stained glass or breathing life into an old piece of stained glass with restoration–contact us at Stained Glass San Antonio today!
Did you know that stained glass can inspire your congregation members and easily become a lifelong family tradition? Stained glass has always played an important role in San Antonio churches, becoming an integral part of the worship process. When it comes to keeping your church stained glass in the best condition possible, it is crucial to have timely restorations completed. Church stained glass restoration is key for keeping your stained glass around so that future generations can appreciate it as well. Here are three reasons to start your restoration project as soon as possible.
Does your home, business, or church have stained glass features? San Antonio properties that are lucky enough to have these gorgeous, one-of-a-kind windows should always prioritize the proper maintenance and care. When it comes to ensuring your stained glass stays in the best condition possible, proper repairs must take place in a timely manner in order to prevent further damage and wasted resources in the future. Stained glass repair can provide the services you need for keeping your treasured stained glass in its original condition.
The Advantages of Stained Glass Repair for Your San Antonio Property
When it comes to stained glass damage, the severity will determine how you’ll need to proceed. There are three different options that any property owner can make for their stained glass. Here is the difference between repair, restoration, and replacement:
- Stained glass replacement: If you no longer want to keep your stained glass whether because it’s an antique or you’d like to change the design, stained glass replacement is key. You’ll work with a designer to create your perfect replacement piece.
- Stained glass restoration: Restoration restores stained glass panels back to their original glory by replacing damaged glass and redoing the lead came. Restoration is actually required every 75 to 100 years to maintain your stained glass panels.
- Stained glass repair: Repairs are ideal for mild to moderate damage. These can be completed on-site and should be completed for proper maintenance of your glass.
Work with San Antonio’s Trusted Stained Glass Repair Studio
Stained Glass San Antonio is honored to be the trusted stained glass repair studio serving the Texas area. We’re available for both virtual consultations and in-person appointments. We’d love the opportunity to repair your glass and maintain its original condition.
For more information regarding stained glass repair for your property, please contact us!
Historical properties always have incredible charm and character that simply can’t be recreated. These San Antonio historical properties often house original stained glass windows that contribute to their one-of-a-kind charm. Like everything else in life, stained glass will begin to deteriorate with age and external factors. Restoration is required around the 75-year to the 100-year mark in order to continue preserving the integrity of your stained glass. Historical stained glass restoration can deliver some incredible benefits for your commercial property.
The Advantages of Historical Stained Glass Restoration for Your San Antonio Commercial Property
Did you know that unrestored stained glass is appraised for significantly less? While restoration can be a significant investment, the ROI is incredible when you restore the antique value. Restoration can extend the lifespan of your stained glass for over another century until the next restoration is required. Stained glass can often become a major appeal for guests and customers to visit your establishment. They often create a tradition or some significant sentimental meaning for the community. Make sure that future generations can continue treasuring your stained glass features. Stained glass restoration is also significantly less expensive than replacement. The more proactive you are with the historical stained glass restoration process, the more money and resources you can typically save.
Work with San Antonio’s Leading Historical Stained Glass Restoration Studio
Stained Glass San Antonio is honored to be the leading historical stained glass restoration studio serving the Texas area. Our team is available during normal business hours for virtual consultations. We’re happy to help you with your restoration project and can get your assessment started so you have a better understanding of the cost-benefit analysis of restoration vs. replacement for your commercial property.
For more information regarding historical stained glass restoration for your property, please contact us!
Creating a gorgeous master bathroom oasis in your San Antonio home is always a good idea whether you’re living in your forever home or you’re planning on selling in the future. In order to achieve this for your home, stained glass is the perfect addition for both beauty and function. Unlike other privacy solutions, stained glass can provide the exclusive benefits you need for your dream bathroom. Custom stained glass is ideal for improving property value, curb appeal, and much more.
Stained glass restoration is admittedly a large undertaking for any church in the San Antonio area. There is the cost to think of but there is also a time consideration as well.
- The amount of time the stained glass windows will be gone from your chapel.
- The amount of time your church congregation will donate to organizing the repair.
This is why before your church takes on a stained glass restoration, they need to ask the question—how will this restoration ultimately benefit them? As it happens there are few different ways that a church benefits from restoration and we have listed them below.
Three Ways Restoration Benefits Churches
- Preserving Church History: For most congregations, the stained glass windows in their chape, even old ones needing repair, are a point of pride. And they should be! These windows are as much a part of church history as all the members that came before. Under these lovely stained glass beauties, there have been myriad of significant occasions: weddings, funerals, and confirmations just to name a few. Losing such a beloved piece of church history far outweighs the cost of a restoration.
- Preserving San Antonio History: There are so many amazing things about San Antonio and one of them is history. We have many historic buildings here and your church is likely one of them. Therefore your chapel and its stained glass have historical significance. If your church windows are over 80 years old they are likely even antiques. By restoring your stained glass windows your church will secure its place in city history. This has great value to your church and the city of San Antonio. This is why a good way to fund your church stained restoration is by seeking historical grants.
- Savings On Future Repairs: Stained glass (especially church stained glass) is not like other antiques. It is not worth more in its “original” or “unrestored” state. When a church stained glass window reaches a certain age, about 80 years old, it could become structurally unsound. It is then in danger of becoming worse by the day. Ultimately, when the structure is compromised it leads to total failure. So by restoring the windows in your chapel, you save the window from what would have definitely been a more extensive re (and expensive) restoration in the future.
These are all compelling benefits for repairing your church’s stained glass. For more information, or to have us come out and give you an appraisal here in the San Antonio area or most states in the US—contact us at Stained Glass San Antonio today!
Today, stained glass windows can be found in all types of places. Modern technology has allowed us to create more elaborate and complex works than ever before, including domed ceilings, murals, and even 3D sculptures. Leaded glass windows are also a prized possession in many homes, serving a practical purpose of creating privacy as well as an aesthetic one.
But long before they made their way into our homes, libraries, and museums, stained glass windows were an essential part of religious architecture. Sainte-Chapelle, Notre Dame de Paris, Chartres Cathedral, the Thanksgiving Chapel- one only has to be reminded of just a few examples to affirm that the most memorable and prodigious works are found within the confines of church and cathedral walls. And they’re also the oldest.
But how ever did this noble tradition get started in the first place? After all, why do so many churches have stained glass windows? We asked our experts and this is what they told us.
Stained glass requires different maintenance and care than typical glass windows. Keeping stained glass well maintained is so important in order to retain value and keep your restoration schedule in place. Without proper care, your stained glass can actually be susceptible to damage and other threats. In order to keep your stained glass in good shape, make sure to follow these tips.
The Best Way to Clean Your Stained Glass Windows
We always recommend cleaning your stained glass windows every week or every other week. The amount of dirt that can build up on your windows is significant. Especially with textured glass, the dust can really get settled in all the nooks and crannies. Having a regular cleaning schedule is so important– whenever we restore stained glass, we always notice the unbelievable amount of grime that cakes on over the years. Always use a neutral PH soap that doesn’t have ammonia. Any cleaning agent with ammonia can actually cause a chemical reaction with the lead or zinc components of your stained glass, causing it to deteriorate. Mixing a mild cleaning agent with warm soap is the best formula for cleaning stained glass. Also, always utilize a soft cloth that isn’t abrasive. This reduces the risk of scratching or damaging any of the painted or stained glass pieces.
Work with San Antonio’s Preferred Stained Glass Studio
Stained Glass San Antonio is honored to be the preferred stained glass studio serving the San Antonio, Texas area. We’re always here to provide all the cleaning and maintenance tips you need. Having a regular cleaning schedule is great for keeping an eye on the condition of your stained glass. You’ll be able to tell when your stained glass is ready for restoration, helping you save money.
For more information regarding stained glass maintenance, please contact us!
Your San Antonio churches stained glass is likely very valuable to your parish. Not only because vintage stained glass can be worth a fair amount of money depending on age, quality, and artist who created it. But also because this glass has been in your church through generations of worshippers. The stained glass in your chapel, synagogue or mosque has seen countless baptisms, funerals, and weddings. Meaning, it has been as much a part of your church as your members have been. It is for this reason, that restoring stained glass is so very critical. Here at Stained Glass San Antonio, it is our job to help you get on with restoring your stained glass and hopefully, breathing new life and love into your congregation.
Our Restoration Process
- The Consultation: Here at Stained Glass San Antonio, we always start our stained glass restoration process with a free consultation. This helps ensure we understand your goals as well as your glass. We are experts at navigating internal church processes. Meaning we are as comfortable talking to a church elder as we are working with a congregation committee. We will evaluate your glass from top to bottom, making sure we have a deep understanding of any and all issues.
- The Estimate: Since we start with such a meticulous review of your San Antonio church’s stained glass windows, we can give precision estimates of cost and scope to our clients. We will include everything you need to know about what is going to happen and when. When we present the estimate, we will also be happy to review any ideas we have from our past experience about how your church can fundraise for the job. We have worked with countless churches to help get them the funding ideas they need to get the stained glass restoration they need.
- The Restoration: A stained glass restoration starts with us painstakingly removing the entirety of your chapel’s affected glass. We then transport it to our studio where our artists begin their work. This work entails all or many of the following:
- Removing the old leading
- Soaking each piece of glass to clean them
- Making new pieces of glass to replace broken ones
- Repainting tarnished or faded painted stained glass pieces
- Re-leading each piece of glass
- Repairing frames and other structural elements
Once this is done, we return lively and lustrous new stained glass windows to your church and re-install them. The new life you will see in your restored windows is amazing and well worth the work (on your end and ours) to make them shine again.
For more information and to schedule a consultation for stained glass restoration on your San Antonio church, contact us at San Antonio Stained Glass today!