Stained glass restoration is admittedly a large undertaking for any church in the San Antonio area. There is the cost to think of but there is also a time consideration as well.
- The amount of time the stained glass windows will be gone from your chapel.
- The amount of time your church congregation will donate to organizing the repair.
This is why before your church takes on a stained glass restoration, they need to ask the question—how will this restoration ultimately benefit them? As it happens there are few different ways that a church benefits from restoration and we have listed them below.
Three Ways Restoration Benefits Churches
- Preserving Church History: For most congregations, the stained glass windows in their chape, even old ones needing repair, are a point of pride. And they should be! These windows are as much a part of church history as all the members that came before. Under these lovely stained glass beauties, there have been myriad of significant occasions: weddings, funerals, and confirmations just to name a few. Losing such a beloved piece of church history far outweighs the cost of a restoration.
- Preserving San Antonio History: There are so many amazing things about San Antonio and one of them is history. We have many historic buildings here and your church is likely one of them. Therefore your chapel and its stained glass have historical significance. If your church windows are over 80 years old they are likely even antiques. By restoring your stained glass windows your church will secure its place in city history. This has great value to your church and the city of San Antonio. This is why a good way to fund your church stained restoration is by seeking historical grants.
- Savings On Future Repairs: Stained glass (especially church stained glass) is not like other antiques. It is not worth more in its “original” or “unrestored” state. When a church stained glass window reaches a certain age, about 80 years old, it could become structurally unsound. It is then in danger of becoming worse by the day. Ultimately, when the structure is compromised it leads to total failure. So by restoring the windows in your chapel, you save the window from what would have definitely been a more extensive re (and expensive) restoration in the future.
These are all compelling benefits for repairing your church’s stained glass. For more information, or to have us come out and give you an appraisal here in the San Antonio area or most states in the US—contact us at Stained Glass San Antonio today!